Call : 07771 541449


In some circumstances, businesses and even individuals may require a license in order to provide entertainment. These licenses might be obtained from the local council or from another licensing authority, and without them a business may be breaking the law by offering certain kinds of entertainment.

Like a license for the sale or supply of alcohol, it is possible to obtain a license for either an individual or for specific premises.

Examples of businesses that will most probably require a suitable entertainment license include:

It's not just the type of business that defines whether a license is needed. Circumstances also play a huge role. If your business offers entertainments between the hours of 11.00pm and 8.00am then it may well require a license. If it provides amplified music, whether live or recorder, to audiences of over 500 people, or if it provides recorded music as entertainment in premises that are not licensed for the sale of alcohol, then once again an audience is most likely needed.

Licenses are also most likely required by businesses and organisations that provide live dramatic or dance performances to audiences of more than 500 people, or live sports for spectators numbering over 1,000. Certain kinds of entertainment require licenses regardless of audience size, including film screenings and certain sports such as boxing and wrestling.

With so many factors to consider, it can be hard to gauge whether certain businesses or organisations need a license without a close, careful look at the finer points of the rules. Sometimes, businesses do not believe that their activities do require a license until they find out too late that they do, and this is where entertainment licensing solicitors and entertainment licensing barristers, like myself, can be so effective in providing assistance.

Although most license applications are granted, it is possible that your local authority might receive an objection to your proposal to provide licensed entertainments. If this happens, and if the authority does not dismiss the complaint as frivolous, vexatious or irrelevant, then a hearing will be held to decide whether the license should be granted, rejected, or allowed with extra conditions, meaning that you may require the services typically offered by entertainment licensing lawyers. If you find yourself faced with such a hearing, as a professional entertainment licensing barrister, I can provide expert legal advice and help you put together a strong, soundly-backed case for the granting of your license application.

If you find yourself facing action from the licensing authority and you require the services of typical entertainment licensing solicitors and lawyers, contact me today to see how I can help. As an experienced entertainment licensing barrister with particular expertise in licensing law, I can provide you with both expert advice and the solid representation you need to best present and win your case. Contact me today on 07771 541449 or info@stuartjessopbarrister.co.uk


Range of Licensing Law Services

Testimonials View All

Mr Jessop is excellent at identifying the issue, asking relevant questions and setting out the way forward. He is friendly & approachable at all times and puts clients at ease. He elicits and analyses the evidence and advises clients clearly on the prospects of success. We recommend Mr Jessop to clients without hesitation.

Mr. G Hopkins, London

Blog View All

Stuart Jessop wins Case to close Soho’s Historic Windmill Strip Club

23 January 2018

Stuart Jessop has recently represented a client who was successful in opposing an application for a sexual entertainment venue licence by the historic Windmill Strip Club based in Soho, with Westminster City Council taking the decision not to renew the licence.

Full Article >

For expert advice on licensing, regulatory and consumer law

Call: 07771 541449 or email: info@stuartjessopbarrister.co.uk

Legal 500 UK Environmental Law Association The Specialist Bar Association for Planning Enviornment and Local Government Institute of Licensing Food Law Group