Licensing can be a complex matter encompassing many important business and private activities. Areas of licensing law can be as varied as alcohol licensing, licenses to provide entertainment to the public, and private firearms licensing.
The problem with licensing matters is that it can be difficult to get them right, yet there may be serious consequences for getting them wrong. In my career as a licensing barrister I have taken a particular interest in all areas of licensing law and have developed in-depth knowledge covering a wide variety of licensing issues. Unlike most licensing barristers, I can offer the same service as traditional licensing lawyers as well as acting as your licensing law barrister in court. I am a member of the Institute of Licensing and hold the Professional Licensing Practitioner’s Qualification (PLPQ) and am ranked as a leading barrister (Band 3) for licensing in the independent publication The Legal 500 for 2015.
As a licensing barrister, I can assist you with a range of different kinds of license, including:
- Alcohol Licensing: Provision of alcohol to customers is a licensed activity on which many retail and hospitality businesses depend heavily. Like most licensing lawyers, I can offer guidance and support for businesses on all alcohol licensing matters including obtaining licences and Temporary Event Notices (TENs), variations, reviews, and appeals. I am regularly involved in all manner of licensing cases whether before the licensing sub-committee, on appeal to the magistrates or by way of case stated or judicial review and can advice on a variety of licensing related issues. I have experience of working as a licensing law barrister for both licensee (whether individuals or companies) and local authorities. Providing live entertainment is the main focus of many businesses, and an important and profitable supplement for many others. However, it is also an activity which may require a license, and not having that license can lose customers or render an entire business inoperable. I can help you determine whether you need a license, provide expert aid through the application process, and help you appeal if you encounter problems with your license.
- Firearms: Firearms legislation can be a tricky issue for both individuals and businesses. I have experience with firearm appeals and can guide and represent you in this often difficult and specialised area.
- Entertainment: In order to provide certain kinds of entertainment, businesses sometimes require an entertainment licence. Certain factors play a role when it comes to whether or not your business requires a licence; the time frame in which these events take place, audience size and the sale of alcohol etc. For some businesses, they only realise they required a licence after it’s too late. If an application is dismissed but isn’t categorised as frivolous, vexatious or irrelevant, it is possible to challenge the dismissal through a hearing, which I can assist with and provide expert legal advice in order to present a case for your licence to be granted.
- Gambling: Gambling is big business not only for dedicated casinos but for other business types such as hotels that offer gambling facilities onsite. It can be profitable for businesses and enjoyable for their patrons, but the dangers of irresponsible gambling place a lot of responsibility and regulation on the businesses concerned and give it the status of licensed activity.
- Taxi: Taxi licensing is important for both the health and the reputation of taxi businesses, as well as for the livelihood of the individuals behind the wheel. If there are problems with a taxi license or some incident has raised the threat that a license might be withdrawn, things can look worrying. As an experienced licensing law barrister, I can help not only with successfully obtaining a license, but also with addressing any problems that may arise or finding ways to avoid problems in the future.
If you require the services of traditional licensing lawyers as well as an experienced licensing law barrister, please contact me today to discuss your circumstances on 07771 541449 or email@example.com.